Thursday, July 14, 2011

Steak Sandwich with Red Onion Marmalade

This is definitely a favourite in our house. It is ideal as a Friday night treat for the two of us (recipe halved) but it has also proved to be an extremely popular meal for family and friends. If you want a more substantial meal, serve this with some fries or potato wedges, or I've even served it with some stuffed mushrooms, however I find it's also great by itself or with a nice green side salad.

{It's hard to give exact quantities for the sandwiches as it depends on how big you want them to be but for 4 people 1 quantity of cheat's aioli and 1 of the red onion marmalade will definitely be enough.}


Serves 4

2 steaks of your choice – I used strip loin but sirloin also works well
1 French baguette or similar bread of your choice
Olive oil
Cheat's aioli (or you could use garlic mayo)
Rocket leaves
Salt & pepper

Season the steaks with a little salt and pepper on each side. Heat a frying pan with a drizzle of olive oil then cook the steaks for 3 - 4 minutes per side for medium rare (or you could cook them on a BBQ like we do for the same amount of time). Transfer to a chopping board, cover loosely with tin foil then leave to rest for 10 minutes. Drizzle a little oil over the bread and toast for a few minutes until golden.

To assemble the sandwiches spread a good amount of the aioli on the bottom of the baguette then top with a handful of the rocket leaves. Thinly slice the steak and place on top of the rocket. Add any juices from the steak to the onion marmalade then spoon some over the top of the steak.

14 comments:

  1. Wow. That looks Yum ! I am starving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo this sandwich looks delicious and I LOVE your red onion marmalade, yummy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the red onion marmalade with the steak - bet this sandwich tastes amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sandwich looks greed I love the idea of a red onion marmalade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like my beef a bit more 'well done' than that, but love the idea of the steak sandwich baguette.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone! It really is a great flavour combination.

    Janice - definitely cook the steak as you like - it will taste delicious anyway you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lynds, I think you are onto a winner with this one! Steak sandwich with red onion marmalade - truly delicious!
    Fantastic photos! Which camera do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love a good steak sandwich. the red onion marmalade sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love red onion marmelade and almost every marmelade made with savory ingredients (for example red tomatoes, cucumber etc...)! :)
    And this sandwich looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The marmalade sounds phenomenal! Awesome sammich :) Buzzed

    ReplyDelete
  11. That marmalade sounds amazing!! And the sandwich made me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks everyone!

    MeLikeyUK - Im almost embarrassed to say that I use my Panasonic Lumix (DMC-FH22) the majority of the time, however I'm in the process of learning how to use my husband's camera which is a Canon Rebel XSi...I also bought the book Plate to Pixel so I now just need to find the time to read it along with the instructions manual of the camera and get some practice shots!

    ReplyDelete
  13. delicious, classic recipe. Thanks for sharing this. Top marks.

    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  14. Look delicious,,
    Thank you for the recipe...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...